- Mythology and fiction in Nethack, NetHack, Cockatrice - I noticed that everyone in the LiveJournal dungeon meme was getting killed by a cockatrice, and was going "This is why you don't attack a cockatrice!" to people
- Neo-Citran - Would you believe that Wikipedia doesn't have a page about Neo-Citran?
- Mister Boffo - Trying to find out if it still existed (yes)
- Love is... - Wondering how it could still exist. (Did you know that it has separate people doing the writing and the art?)
- List of Peter Griffin's jobs - Someone on IRC asked. Wikipedia knew.
- Yap - Giant coins. There's one at the currency museum here in Ottawa.
- Flint glass, Crown_glass_(optics), Zeiss_Tessar, F-number, Canon_Digital_IXUS, Memory_Stick - Buying a new camera tomorrow!
- Apophenia, Pareidolia, Shadow people - I can't remember where shadow people came up. Some blog. Paraidolia, an apophenia, is one explanation.
- Fishing Cat - From this mefi post; these Russian folks have a pet fishing cat.
- Ideomotor effect - from an Ask Metafilter discussion about Ouija boards.
- Autorotation - Someone complained that this article was inaccessble. Someone else fixed it.
- Eschatology of Jehovah's Witnesses, Legal_instruments_of_Jehovah's_Witnesses, Jehovah's_Witnesses - Fact-checking for an offhand joke about insomnia being the Charles Russell of Livejournal.
- Dalmatia - Where do Dalmatians come from?
- Boeing 767, Zoom_Airlines - We head to Paris in less than two weeks!
- Sumer is Icumen In - Fact-checking for an offhand joke on IRC.
- Origin of life, Primordial_sea - Verifying that the production of organic molecules from inorganic had been reproduced in laboratory conditions.
- Zeno's paradoxes, Proof_that_0.999..._equals_1 - Some people refuse to accept that 0.999... = 1.
- Electric Slide, Hustle_(dance) - A dumb commercial suggested that knowing one or the other places you in a particular age group, so I checked dates. Still not sure, but I'd say "doubtful".
- Dutch people, Dutch, Netherlands, Holland - Looking up the history of all of these words about the Dutch.
- SunOS - Fact-checking before I explain to someone that I don't know SunOS-specific stuff because I was still in grade school when it was current, and would they consider upgrading to Solaris sometime soon please?
- Carbonate - nyxie and I couldn't remember what HCO3 was. Duh.
I'm going to post this on my zen blog later this week, but right now I want to post it somewhere and I'm too tired to compose a post over…
Generosity, or dana, is one of the ten paramitas of Buddhism. This quote opens an article on it in this month's Tricycle: When you are…