1.What did you do in 2010 that you'd never done before?
Managed direct reports. Closed a full year of budget. Went on sesshin. Became a formal student of Taigen sensei. Bought a banjo.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I can't remember exactly what my resolutions during the New Year's Eve ceremony at the Zen Centre were last year, but I know that part of it was about intensifying my practice, and I guess I sure did that.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I'll quote nyxie on this one: "Yes! The ever wonderful [info]llamech and his awesome wife Maysie had their third child on December 21st, not longer after the eclipse/full moon. What a cool day to be born, huh?"
But I find this question kind of odd. I suppose if you gained a close relative it'd be a year-defining thing, but there were lots of babies in 2010 and while I always wish the family the best it's not something that stays on my radar somehow.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Would you believe I stayed in Canada all year?
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
Maybe these questions are aimed more at younger people... hm. I would like to have more to show for my time, and a bigger team at FreshBooks, and an even stronger Zen practice.
7. What date from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Rob Ford getting elected mayor of Toronto. Because ow.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Sesshin, I think. Although moving FreshBooks from a few servers in Rackspace Managed Hosting to eighteen or so in HA clusters in their colo space ought to count too.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Tough question! I'd have to say some stupid cowboy stuff at FreshBooks that led to replication problems and a couple hours' stranded data, mostly because I should've known better.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Cat medicine. Lots and lots of cat medicine. Because we still have a rashacat.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
nyxie's, she knows why!
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
People don't really appall and depress me.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Cat. We're also saving for a house, but that's not gone yet.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Sesshin, becoming Sensei's student, banjo, Rasha being back to his usual self after he crashed and had to spend the night at the vet getting fluids.
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
I don't know if there is one.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? happier, I think
ii. thinner or fatter? same
iii. richer or poorer? same
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
More sitting. More serious practicing of some musical instrument. More quality time with nyxie.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Staring at a computer screen reading blogs.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Woops, too late! Christmas Day nyxie and I exchanged some small gifts and cooked lots of tasty food.
21. Any plans for New Year's Eve?
The ceremony at the Zen Centre.
22. What was your favourite restaurant of 2010?
Tough call. We're going out less now that nyxie is vegan and mostly gluten-free. I was really into Utopia this year but I'm kind of tired of the 3-4 things I always get there. I guess I don't really have one. Maybe Big Fat Burrito. YAMMITY YAM.
23. Did you get any awesome new cookbooks this year?
24. How about your time online - how did you spend it?
I waste it, generally! Funny you should ask! There's so much I could've got done in the time spent looking at funny pictures on tmbo or reading blogs, it's turned into my "staring at the TV" equivalent. I've got some things to work on there.
25. What was your favourite TV show?
26. What was the best book you read?
Tough call, tough call. I read so many! I should use GoodReads to keep track, because I can't remember what I was reading two months ago. Nothing really stood out, I guess.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Another tough one. Believe it or not I'd have to say Eminem, because there's something about his flow (despite a general distaste for his subject matter) that got me listening to a lot more rap, which I've enjoyed getting into.
28. What did you want and get?
Lots of things. Rasha being relatively healthy. A banjo (which I hardly play, sigh). A Kindle, a new MacBook. I'm not much of a "want and get" person, though, I don't want much.
29. What did you want and not get?
We didn't move to straight bring-your-own-hardware colo at work, that was a "want but not get" for sure. Otherwise, I can't think of anything.
30. How about products - what product did you discover in 2010 that you have to tell everyone about?
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I hate the pressure of Having A Good Time On Your Birthday. I can't even remember what I... oh, wait, yes I can. I took it off work at the last minute but didn't make any plans and ended up kind of bored and bummed out. I turned 35.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably satisfying?
In Zen practice a first crucial point is reached when we realize that no experience of any kind is going to give the kind of satisfaction that we crave so deeply.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Somewhere between hipster and t-shirt-and-jeans.
34. What kept you sane?
Buddha, dharma, sangha, and lexapro.
35. What are your career plans for 2011?
Good question! Right now I'm straddling the sysadmin-manager line and I'm sort of letting myself find the natural balance there. I'd like to start taking on some side work, I've got a post about that percolating in my brain.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
ROB FUCKING FORD. And the G20, although that was more O_O than >_<.
37. Who did you miss?
Aw. I miss coffeechica, this is the first year in a while that we haven't hung out together. And I realized that I want to spend more quality time with my father. And mouseycat.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Well that's a tough one. WHO IS THE BEST PERSON is hard to answer even with qualifiers. Lots of people at the Zen Centre, lots of new people at FreshBooks, and a lot of the people who influenced me this year aren't people I met. If I had to choose one person who I didn't know about before 2010 who had an influence on me this year it'd have to be Lisa, but I didn't meet her, just back-and-forth on Twitter.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010
"Get your ass on the cushion already."
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Wow, huh, I dunno, I don't really think in song lyrics like that. I don't think I could really sum up this year outside of song lyrics. It sort of slipped by, it seems, even though I had some milestones in it.
And there you have it. The strangest thing about 2010: how few of the details I can remember.